If you’ve been thinking about setting up a design blog or website in general, here are some basic resources that I use that will help you get up and running fast. First off this blog you are reading was built with WordPress, a free online software thats fairly popular for designing blogs and websites.
WordPress is a powerhouse when it comes to content management and very flexible with design implementation. The best thing about WordPress is that it is fairly easy to navigate, and has a solid backend built with CSS & PHP.
You can put up sites really quick and customize them on a basic level while keeping your code lean and organized, which is great for search engine optimization.
Here are 3 to 4 basic components to get you started, check back periodically for updates…
» Web Hosting
1. A web host is a service which allows your website to be seen and accessed worldwide on the internet. Hosting services provide internet connectivity as well as space for you to lease or rent on a server. The majority of my websites are with HostGator which I highly recommend because it’s so easy to set up and allows you to install WordPress with the push of a button literally! HostGator also has customer service support around the clock 24/7 with competent reps waiting to assist you.
I also use 1&1 for hosting which is a great service too. But if you are just starting out I recommend Hostgator because it’s a little less technical when setting up WordPress. And as I said before their customer service is definitely on point.
Use the coupon code “KINGSTONRED” to receive $9.94 off when ordering from Hostgator!
» Domain Name
2. Your basic web address or ‘URL’ (www.yourcompany.com). Small bit of advice, stick with the ‘top level domains’ when you register your name, meaning go with .com, .net and .org forget about the .info, .biz etc…. I use www.GoDaddy.com and 1&1 for my domain registrations.
» WordPress Customization (optional)
3. Thesis Theme for WordPress works great for me because I hate coding. The load times are lightning fast and I find that the sites I create get indexed really fast with Thesis, sometimes within a few days! Take your WordPress site to the next level with Thesis Theme they have a excellent forum if you run into any problems with the framework provided…
Thesis Theme for WordPress: Options Galore and a Helpful Support Community – Here are a few reasons you should check out Thesis…
• Search Engine Optimization (SEO) capabilities
• Faster page load times
• Maximum readability to engage and hold your reader’s attention
• Point-and-click design and font controls
Check out some sites built with Thesis Theme
4. Every site needs quality content, figure out a subject area that you are knowledgeable in or find out what it is you are most passionate about and think about how you can deliver value or help someone with specific needs or problems. This could come in the form of an article, video, ebook, podcast or photograph. All, part or one of these elements can be utilized as content to make up your blog. I don’t necessarily enjoy writing but I find it easier to write when it is a topic of interest or something that I have had hands on experience with.
The possibilities and ideas are endless when it comes to creating content.